We drove the 'Road to Hana'. It's a really popular 42 mile road trip. It takes all day because you travel 20 mph down constant windy roads and tons of narrow bridges. However, around every turn we found more beautiful things:
The views were spectacular


We poked around in a volcanic rock tide pool
Yummy cucumber...
We stopped at a fruit stand and got coconut, macadamia chocolate, and papaya ice cream. I swear the owner of the shop was Jack Johnson!!! Too bad I didn't get his picture. But here's a huge avocado none the less.


We went swimming in one of the seven sacred waterfall pools. It was colder than the ocean, that is why I look like a shivering chicken. The pool had tiny fish in it that tickled your legs, I think they thought we tasted good.


We saw some creepy scary things:
Like our own faces

And life threatening warning signs
Fortunately no one died. Some of us got itty bitty jelly fish stings and I got scratched by a sea urchin, but it was more cool than painful.
Sea cave where mermaids hang out
Bathroom stops were hard to come by. The main rest stop had wild cats and chickens that co-existed in a shaky truce. They weren't approachable and would watch you creepily from the woods, it reminded me of Lord of the Flies.
We survived the Road to Hanna trip, even though Jon-David thought he was going to vomit the whole way back.

Day 5:
I may be getting my days mixed up, but I think this is the right order of events.
For the first part of the day we hung out at the hotel, Jon-David spent a lot of time trying to write his 10 page paper that was due when he got back.
That night we all met up at the luau in time for the sunset.
They started it off by pulling out the pig from a large sand pit. Not kosher...

There were about 300 people there and we were seated farthest away from the buffet, so they tried to keep us happy by giving us unlimited beverages for an hour until it was our turn.

In my opinion the food itself was not delicious. A lady that we had met in our hotel hot tub the night before recommended mixing the poi with a little bit of meat and it would be the perfect combination. I took her advice, unfortunately, and filled my tray mostly up with poi and a little bit of everything else. Blech.
poi goo

Jon-David and Peter volunteered to go up for a hula lesson. I wish it had been a competition because Jon-David would have won.
Back to class. I will finish this lata'.
1 comment:
so fun! hope you guys had a blast.
Post a Comment