Monday, January 18, 2010

In the frosty AIR!

To get us through these months of hibernation we wagered our lives on a X-country skiing expedition up Smithfield canyon. Our faces became solidified and we could barely move our lips to speak. Here's Jon-David just beginning to frost over.

These trips are always an adventure with my dad. He is a Rocky Mountain Sheep in human form, and Jon-David has an incredibly competitive spirit. This combination is potentially fatal. I became increasingly anxious as our whole group was waiting back at the car while there was still no sign of Jon-David or my dad. My brother said the last time he saw them they were headed towards a giant cliff. But don't you fret, they made it back alive with ice stalactites and hoarfrost encrusted on their facial hair.

Another hibernation favorite, READING!
Let me suggest these tragic favorites to everyone:
Man's Search for Meaning



It is the story of an inmate at a concentration camp and he poetically describes the psychology behind finding a reason to live when not only hope, but all of life's possessions are lost.
I was very emotional through out the whole book. It is very sobering and it puts into focus what really matters in this life.

The meaning of life is found in every moment of living; life never ceases to have meaning, even in suffering and death.
Psychological reactions are not solely the result of the conditions of his life, but also from the freedom of choice he always has even in severe suffering.



The Good Earth


Another book on China during the revolution. It captures the emotion of that era really well. It is about the life of a traditional farmer and I can't give away too much. There were some tragedies that were difficult to read.
This book was a Pulitzer prize winner and an Oprah book club choice. That's enough merit:)


We have gone without a T.V. our entire married lives but now we have one, only because it was forced upon us and I guess we are grateful:) It's such a luxury! And it fits perfectly in the fireplace.

2 comments:

Linds said...

I love x country skiing!

And your TV is super cute!

oralia said...

whoa! i can't believe his beard!

I like when you post books you've read. I just finished The Book Thief. Good one.