Since moving to New York City, we've been expecting there to be some adjustments and culture shock. The shock has actually come from the lack thereof-feeling really comfortable and settled really quickly. Maybe because we were expecting it to be different? Maybe because we moved from a big city in China to a big city in the U.S.? Needless to say, I was quite impressed by our adaptation skills, until I came upon this article 'Symptoms of Culture Shock", turns out, I have it.
Symptoms
• Preoccupation with health
I have only been cooking vegetables, and Jon-David has been exercising....I thought it was all because of the re-found vegetables we can identify, and moving to a place we can breath.
• Insomnia, desire to sleep too much or too little
It's not jet lag?
• Anger, irritability, resentment, unwillingness to interact with others
Making new friends is hard, alright!?
• Loss of identity
No one here even knows I can blow bubbles off of my tongue.
• Trying too hard to absorb everything in the new culture or country
I do absorb as much street vendor food as I can afford...
• Unable to solve simple problems
That explains the old tissue that's been sitting in the windowsill for the past few days...
• Feelings of inadequacy or insecurity
We DO live right next to Harlem...
• Developing stereotypes about the new culture
This is true. It may be because I have been reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, and The Poisonwood Bible, so I look at every African-American person and think of them as suppressed and exploited..
• Developing obsessions such as over-cleanliness
Don't have it, but I want it...
How to Fight Culture Shock
• Develop a hobby.
• Don't forget the good things you already have!
• Be patient. Cultural adjustment is a process. It will take time.
• Learn to be constructive. If you encounter a difficult situation, think
about how you might avoid or encounter that situation differently in
the future. Be easy on yourself.
• Don't try too hard.
• Learn to include a regular form of physical activity in your routine.
• Relaxation and meditation are proven to be very positive for people
who are passing through periods of stress.
• Pay attention to relationships with your family and at work. They
will serve as support for you in difficult times.
• Establish simple goals and evaluate your progress.
• Find ways to live with the things that don't satisfy you 100%.
• Maintain confidence in yourself. Follow your ambitions and continue your plans for the future.
I think we'll be okay.
1 comment:
I just wrote you this whole long comment about dragon fruit and other nonsense and it didn't even make sense but then it got deleted and I felt sad.
Points is: really good street food at a place called Halal Guys somewhere near 30 Rock. Those are as descriptive of directions as I can give you. Also, in the winter there are big, red Christmas tree decorations there. So...that's helpful right now. Go eat there! Sometimes I dream about it.
Post a Comment