Monday, February 15, 2010

Day #7 President's Day

Just another thing to add to my awkward repertoire. I lobbied in D.C. a couple of times for things like sustainability and drilling in Alaska. The first meeting I had was with Utah's senator Bennett. I was a nervous wreck. Bennett walked into his office and greeted us. I became petrified and made intense eye contact with him when he initiated a hand shake. My staring caused me to miss his hand entirely, and he is a tall guy so it was awkward. During our meeting I forgot the number on the bill we were meeting on and pretty much everything I had planned on saying. To top it all off when I left I said "thanks Bennator".

2 comments:

oralia said...

HA! I can't really relate to this other than I'm really awkward all the time, not only when i'm doing something important. anyway, i really just wanted to comment to tell you i laughed out loud at "Thanks Bennator" he was probably like "man, is this girl pulling a power play on me?"

Kris said...

I love it! Last Tuesday I was at the Envision Cache Valley meeting and the we had roundtable discussions. The mayor thought I had a good point so when it was time to have open forum he immediately volunteered me to speak. I was shocked and nervous and proceeded to blast the County Council at the table next to us. Then when they hung their heads I said something like "Ooops, they're a little embarressed"...rubbing salt in their wounds. They wouldn't talk to me after. sigh