Sunday, July 3, 2011

Weekend Trip: Thousand Island Lake

I found rafting in China to be considerably more thrilling than rafting in the states. That may be attributed to the fact that they just do things differently here and have a different idea of what 'dangerous' is.
Most Chinese people can't swim, therefore we had to wear reflective life vests and helmets even though the creak we rafted down wasn't more than two feet deep.
As natural as the setting and the water was, I'm pretty certain it was %100 man made.
The flow of the creek was controlled-if customers come they turn the water on and fill up the 'natural' river which is the same width as your raft with strategically placed boulders to keep you turning turning in circles while bumping into them and getting whiplash.
I found the boulders to be more dangerous and they think the water is more dangerous-that's where we differ.
But oh boy, it was fun!



I love love this China-Man super hero:
The guys convinced one of the locals to take them on his fishing boat

Jon-David caught a fish!! The pole he used didn't have a reel-it's just the flick of the wrist method.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please frame that photo of you and JD in the raft because it is my favorite photo ever.

Unknown said...

wow, you guys are getting some pretty great pictures! Who is the photographer?

Craig said...

So, I guess you'll be wanting some helmets when we go float Oneida, huh?

liz said...

Hahaha, I want to float that river! Sounds awesome.